Earthen wood-heated ovens, stoves, and fireplaces are highlights of the Extravaganza. PLUS techniques to transform an ordinary house into a Temple; the creation of an earthen courtyard; bamboo design & building; timber-framing; earthen relief, sculpture, arches, niches, and more….
A full-scale, hands-on, multi-dimensional, mud-slingin’ experience!
10 diverse projects and 10 world-renown instructors!
REGISTER SOON ———-> This program will fill!
One, two, or three week options are available.
DATES & DETAILS
April 24- May 14, 2011
Sunday, April 24: 7-10pm
Monday thru Friday, 10am-6pm
Wednesday evening presentations: 8-10pm
Saturday morning special programs, 10am-1pm
Saturday afternoons & Sundays: Break
LEARN NATURAL BUILDING!
The Natural Building Extravaganza offers a smorgasbord of learning opportunities with major movers’ n’ shakers of this muddy movement. More than 10 building projects to dive into — all about mud, straw, bamboo, timber, fire, and love! Gain direct, hands-on experience through small group natural building workshops, classes, field trips, slideshows, and more.
Outdoor kitchen • Highly efficient wood-fired baking oven • Earthen cook stove • Wood-fired hot tub • Rumford fireplace • Earthen grotto • Adobe arches • Strawbale benches • Slipstraw knee walls • Cob niches • Wattle & daub fence • Earthen courtyard • Relief, sculpture & embedded mosaic • Exterior & interior plasters • Clay-based paints • Bamboo “living” room & hanging garden • Timber-framing • Wall systems • Material selection • Passive solar design
–> Tours of natural buildings: Adobe, slipstraw & strawbale homes, cob cottages, and earthships.
–> Tours of Permaculture in action: Earthaven Ecovillage, and the Ashevillage Institute—one of the nation’s best examples of urban permaculture.
–> The international movement: The founding Director and International Program Director of Kleiwerks International will both be at the Extravaganza. They’ll be returning from Haiti, Argentina, and Peru ready to share the latest on what’s happening with international natural building.
Janell Kapoor, Kevin Rowell, Eva Rose Edleson, Steveo Brodmerkel, Mollie Curry, Steve Kemble, Chad ‘Fez’ Gaetz, Meka Bunch, Ira Friedrichs, Aaron Maret, and guests. Details on bottom half of this page.
$1,800 for all three weeks; $1,300 for two weeks; $800 for one week.
Tuition and materials included. Food & lodging are not included—see lodging section below. Limited work-trade positions are available, inquire within. A $500 deposit is required to hold your space.
PAYMENT PLAN OPTIONS
After paying the $500 deposit, the remainder may be paid with NON-REFUNDABLE post-dated checks for up to six months. To discuss payment options inquire within.
1) Email [email protected] with your name, phone, email, and address. Please include: a) How you found out about the Natural Building Extravaganza. b) What you hope to learn. c) What you intend to do with what you learn. d) List previous related building experience — you do NOT need previous experience to attend! e) Please state that you have read the ‘refund policy’ section below.
3) Please allow 3-5 days for Janell to confirm availability.
4) Once confirmed, a NON-REFUNDABLE registration deposit of $500 is required to reserve your seat. Send a check or money order to: ’Ashevillage Institute’, 80 Buchanan Avenue, Asheville, NC 28801. Write: ‘NB Extravaganza’ in the memo line. Or pay online.
4) You will receive a packet with preparation details and directions by April 10th.
5) In order to keep your seat, the remaining fee is due by April 15th—unless you’ve made other payment arrangements in advance.
Note: Registration is first-come, first-serve until we reach maximum capacity.
Your $500 deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE. The remainder of your tuition is transferable (NOT refundable), less 25%, IF you notify us before April 15th, 2011. “Transferable” means you may use it as credit toward other Ashevillage Institute programs within one year of when the original program started. After April 15th, all payments are NON-REFUNDABLE and NON-TRANSFERABLE. If, for any reason, we cancel the program, the entirety of all of your payments will be returned to you in full.
For information about lodging options, including camping and rooms at our guest house, email Lisa Shoemaker at [email protected].
CONTACT & REGISTRATION
Email Janell Kapoor at [email protected]
(Please include ‘NB Extravaganza‘ in the subject line.)